Friday, March 11, 2016

Remembering the 90's!

www.furioso.com
Yes, this post is about a little bit of the 90's. I don't know but I have so much to share on that one.
 Can I start with this introduction? Do you remember that song? I know that was many years ago but still good right? Well, in fact, that song inspired me to write this post.

I don't know when the song was released I am not sure I was born already maybe yes...but the only thing I remember is the fact that I found that song in an old audio cassette. At that time we didn't have Compact Discs  we were just using the Walkman or simply an audio cassette player. That cool it was. I remember that I was maybe around 11 or 12 years old at the time and living at a girls' dormitory where everything was kind of forbidden and strict to us.( It was kind of strict religious and cultural system.) So listening to that type of music ...was not tolerated. As we were walking with a classmate out of school I found an old cassette on the floor. Somebody lost it or simply didn't want it anymore. I picked it up and told to my friend: "Look! We have music here!" She told me :"That is too damaged you will do nothing with it. Beside you are not even sure if you will like the music."
Then, I thought to myself I don't care at least I will not be bored in the dorm. I tried to find a way to save the old cassette with a pen and bobby pin to repair it. The cassette looked a little bit better and it even played well in my Walkman. Surprisingly most of the songs were good  and that was when I discover that song. I didn't know the group until many years later. Baltimora "Tarzan Boy" I only listened the songs in my earphones. I was scared that the nuns would catch me the audio cassette and throw it away and punish me for listening that kin of music. So I would only listen them at night when everybody was sleeping. lol!! I kept that old stuff for 2 years! crazy!
Ok!  I really thought about writing this post many times but because I was so busy I could not do it. Even though I have few times for myself I decided to do it at last.
It is going to be more about the 90's because The 90's were the best years of my life. This post follows the previous one on purpose. It is the continuity of  "Good Memories" a post that I posted at the end of 2015 (the link here: http://patacolorcarnet.blogspot.com/2015/10/good-memories.html). It is the same idea just a little bit more detailed. In this post I will share the best things that I perfectly remember. There were colors and creativity and so much imagination in the 90's!
We had the best TV series. In those series we could watch the best super heroes or super humans with incredible talents. People would think the unthinkable and they made impossibilities possible. For example, the TV serie  Doogie Howser M.D, a physician teenager who was a genius. How could a teenager be a doctor? Like really? Yes, it happened in the 90's lol! Or Wonder Woman who would  always change her clothes in a hidden room somewhere and appeared from nowhere to save people. I don't know how many times we imitated at home that super woman lady.
We also had the best pets ever! These pets would always save human lives. I like dogs a lot! Actually I like pets or animals in general. There was so much love and an idea of humanity or helping and saving others. I give an example: There was that Australian TV serie named "Kelly" a German shepherd that was trained to save people's lives. Skippy! A smart kangaroo that would always save people as well.  How can a kangaroo save people's lives? Well once again it happened in the 90's!
It was the years when we could watch a TV serie of kids controlling an entire city and singing the Boom boom cha cha song while flying in a hot air balloon! In the 90's kids were portrayed as little genius on TV. In the 90's we had the TV series such as Seinfeld, 21 Jump Street, Friends, The Cosby Show, MacGyver, Dallas, Little House on the Prairie, Family Matters, Happy Days...

(PS: The pictures are not mine)
We also had the TV show Martin, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Saved by the Bell and many others. About Saved by the Bell, I recall that whenever we had a boring teacher or a mean one, once the bell was ringing, some classmates would say: "Saved by the bell Let's get out of here!" especially when we had a difficult exercise to do in class. Then the teacher would starred at them and shake his/her head to express how disappointed he/she was by such behavior. The rest of the class would be laughing.
In the 90's we had so many good movies: The Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Pretty Woman, Jurassic Park, Seven, Titanic, Clueless and many others. I really like Braveheart with Mel Gibson, this movie was so interesting!

Bad Boys so watcha gonna do?
 In the 90's we had this movement that I will personally name the Music Mania why? Because I recall that it was the crazy years and people would be walking with a radio on their shoulder playing loud music in the street. The hair was like punk style or something like that.

The old school!
Sometimes people would dress colorful clothes but the style was special for women. Especially the young women. I will talk more about the 90's style later below. We would have the Walkman that portable audio cassette. That was such a brilliant idea and creation. Do you remember? That was so cool at that time! Usually when we traveled we would have our Walkman and many audio cassettes with us.  Then, later we had the CD's portable. So we went from the radio on the shoulder to portable music items. Yes! That was the cool old school!

We had the most beautiful Top models of that time. I admired them so much and I still do. They looked great, beautiful and smiling. They look sexy charming ladies. They marked their times. These Top models were: Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford. Also Linda Evangelista, Eva Herzigova, Elle Mc Pherson, Kate Moss and many others. Of course, I could not forget their names!  I like the way they rocked the catwalk on the runway. They were so elegant! I was such a fan!
Eva Herzigova, Naomi Campbell and Claudia Schiffer
 Now can you tell who is who on the picture below?
Naomi campbell, Stephanie Seymour, Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista and Cindy Crawford

In the 90's when it was boring at home you wore your leggings and if you had friends living in your neighborhood you call them for an afternoon bicycle race. When your bicycle was going too fast and you enjoy the moment you put the legs up in the air and you shout:" yepeee!!!!" Then,  someone would say be careful there and maybe you fall on the grass and you are all laughing or maybe you stop it right before the  little accident happen. That's the kind of crazy and funny things we liked to do back in the 90's  especially during the Summer. Yay!!!!

I like that picture so much! It just reminds me of the good times. This picture is from a Facebook page "Do It in Paris" or "Little Paris."

  Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way" one of my favorite songs of the group.

Yeah!!! Millenium!!!! I was so in love with that entire album .
Yes, we had the coolest boys and girls bands in the 90's. The candy crush guys type...You know what I mean. The Backstreet Boys were among my favorites. In the band, I was in love with Howie Dorough and Kevin Richardson the tall guy with dark hair awwww...I found them sexy and charming lol! (wink). Yes that was teen dream and that was many years ago.
Remember the Spice Girls (I have to admit I have never been a fan of the Spice Girls. To me it was too much and I could not focus on their style and music at all. I was really lost when many girls liked them a lot. I was more into the group All Saints. Personally I liked the All Saints better.)

Natalie Imbruglia "Torn".
I liked her style in the song. That was maybe because it was my mood that I had back in the days. I didn't care much about my style or something like that because I thought that a person was more about his/her personality and values (That was what my parent wanted me to understand)
When I went back to my country I felt so disconnected with the teenagers' way to see life. As I was trying to adapt to that lost "world" according to me (because to them, appearance prevailed over values and personality) at that time my mum was still braiding my hair like in primary school style and people were making fun of my hair at school and it broke my heart so much. I was misunderstood...
They didn't understand how much it meant to me to have my mum doing my hair because I was away from her for years and this reconnection meant the world to me. I could not handle that lost "world" with bullies and peer pressure anymore. I didn't want to change my value, I  then asked my dad to leave the country once again. It really broke my heart to make that decision and to leave my family once again. It was heavy in my heart and my mother never understood my decision either.
Well, I liked that song so much and I liked the way she danced at the end of the video. Yes at some point you don't care anymore about how people think about you. Just because you will never be good enough for them no matter what you do. There will never be enough reasons to change their mind in that regard so...live your life, forget about them and be happy.
The other one was from a "mysterious" radio channel that we could find sometimes. I say sometimes because that radio channel was disappearing from the frequencies and it had so many cool songs in the 90's. We didn't know from where that channel was coming from but when it disappeared from our radio we (my young sister and I) would be disappointed because the animator was always saying "New music tomorrow!" then we would  rush every night to listen to his radio show and try to catch the channel and then sometimes nothing in the frequencies.  We would be passing from being happy to being disappointed depending on the days. I first found that channel accidentally. So that song was also one of our favorite ones from that radio channel
Lutricia Mc Neal "Someone Loves You Honey".
 We didn't speak English much so when she said the word honey in her song, we were thinking about the honey to eat. Then, I would ask to my young sister: "How can she says that someone loves you honey? Does she love to eat honey? My sister would be like:"...well...maybe." The lyrics were about a person but I could not make the straight correlation between the word honey to eat and the word honey for love. I recall that sometimes I would have a bottle of honey on my hands for breakfast and sing the song since I didn't understand why she used that word lol! Until I learned that English speakers use the word honey to also call someone with affection.

Then, in the 90's we had the special fashion. What is really interesting is the fact that the different looks of the 90's are back! Meaning that you can still wear those by recreating them as much as you want and adapting them according to your taste. I can't get enough of the style that we had during the 90's. Hum! Let's see if I can recall some of them but www.popsugar.com will help me to refresh my memories. Ladies are you ready to look back at the 90's fashion? Ok! let's start then!

1/ The Destroyed Jeans, the High Waist Jeans and the Boyfriend Jeans.
They are so back in the trend and they are so cool! You can wear them in different ways. Back in the days I remember that the destroyed jeans was a little bit seen like rebellious style especially when  people added drops of bleach on them to make it look wild and then they wear with it a leather jacket to ...You know... like George Michael's look back in the days. But now many women make this pair of jeans looks more classic.

The high waist pair of jeans is timeless! It always makes me think about the ladies pin up
www.aliexpress.com
2/The Choker Necklace & The Pacifiers : I like them so much! I like the ones that I bought at Aldo last year. Three different types of chocker necklaces

A chocker necklace with a pendant sun
or this one
 The black necklace choker.
  Do you recall when the girls band were wearing that necklace and many girls started to wear those as well.
The Pacifiers
lol!!! No comment! But we liked them so much right? That was cool!
www.etsy.com
3/ The Black Lipsticks, The Black Nails.
www.pinterest.com
I remember people called it the Gothic style back in the days. I don't know the words used here in the US. They would usually added some type of jewelry or skeleton necklace etc. That was the time of the Grunge style I think.

4/ The Silver Lipstick and Silver Eye Shadow
www.pinterest.com
O Gosh! I loved it so much! The silver lipstick and silver eyes shadow in our make up collection were for me refreshing. We would like to wear some nice silver jewelry as well, hoop earrings  and it was perfect especially for us living in the countries where the sun shines! #theTropics. You would have a nice scarf wrapped on your head in lemon yellow color or pink or blue turquoise or neon

5/ The Overalls:
www.pinterest.com
It was cool to wear the overalls. They were in jeans or simple fabrics. It made you look like the friendly girl or "le garcon manqué"! the overalls were in many colors, prints or just simply plain colors. We liked to put our Walkman inside the pocket. Some bank notes, coins to buy fun stuffs or goodies during a nice afternoon with friends. We would keep some shells when walking at the beach. We could sometimes keep some good candies in the pocket or a cute guy's phone number who happened to talk to you! (wink)  We also like to have a crop top under the overalls and sometimes we would leave the up part falling in front.

6/ The Bandana Scarf:
www.lookastic.com

www.amazon.com
www.pinterest.com
Woohoo! The Bandana scarf yes! I recall the Bandana the way we liked to wear it back in the days. We liked to buy all the different colors because we could change the color according to the mood and the style. We liked to tie them on our head, or like a false scarf around our neck but also on our wrist to play the cool girl. It was so original when we had the long braids and we had a little bit of style like the girls bands. We liked the bandana for our afternoon activities like riding the bikes with friends going for a picnic at the park or at the beach.

7/ The Beret:
 Do you remember the beret?!  I like the one that Janet Jackson had in the movie Poetic Justice.
www.pinterest.com
Also the one that Dionne had in Clueless. With her braids it gives the nice ethnic look! I remember we liked to buy those with different colors and styles like those with glitter or strass on it or those that were simple design
 Many girls were into these berets back in the days and we still like them right?
 8/ The Jeans:
Do you recall the short jeans with a shirt around your waist? That was so 90's look! You would paired them  with some boots or sandals for a nice afternoon! Usually people would go for the plaid shirts and yes we all did that! 
www.livingly.com
 We can even adapt it in a more classy way like the lady of the picture below she has nice pair of destroyed jeans  (from www.pinterest.com)
10/ The Sneakers!!!
 Hello! Ladies. Do not forget the sneakers. They were so comfortable! Adapted for casual occasions and afternoon parties or going to the movies! We still like them.

11/ The Gingham and Plaid Shirts/ Plaid Skirts:
I like those shirts with the different colors and prints. They are so back on track and always cool! They are definitely timeless! I like the fabrics!
from French brand "Lulu Castagnette"

below a picture from www.pinterest.com
 The plaid skirts! Who didn't like them?
They were so classic and cool!
Movie "Clueless"

12/ The Backpack.
 Don't forget the girly backpack of the days. We were so much into those little cute backpacks. They are so back in the current trend! They were so viral in the market that every girls wanted to have them.
www.polyvore.com
13/The Waist Bags/Pack.
www.livingly.com


www.aliexpress.com
They were really cool for Summer! They were easy to put around your waist. They had different shapes. We would put anything quickly and keep it safe. There were different styles from the most classic to the casual ones. You could use it for a walk in the afternoon, riding bicycle, or at the beach party. Or you could simply keep some nice little notes of your sweet lover (wink/ lol!!! Girls things that was so back in the days!)
14/The Timberland Women Boots:
The timberland boots were picked in different colors

15/ The 90's Sunglasses:
www.pinterest.com
The  round reflective sunglasses. I used to call them Whoopi Goldberg' sunglasses because  I first saw them with her on pictures and movie. And yes they are so back on the market! I love them!

16/ Flashy Accessories/ Hoop Earrings
www.etsy.com
That was so 90's! We love them especially under the tropics! Like I said earlier we had so many colors on us in the 90's
www.pinterest.com
17/ The electric Blue Nails and Lipstick
Do you remember the Electric Blue Fever (That's how I call it) lol! I like the blue. I like it in clothings but also in mascara and nails. Some ladies did wear it on their lips.
www.etsy.com
18/ The Shoes Baby-Doll
Last on my list the shoes baby doll or stilettos dolls. I recall that some girls would put them with some socks and it was another nice look. I guess I will get them again. They are so classic.

Ok! I guess I said everything. That was my 90's post . I know it was long but I like the idea. I hope you like it!
You can also visit: http://patacolorcarnet.weebly.com/carnet-de-voyage
My previous post "Good Memories": http://patacolorcarnet.blogspot.com/2015/10/good-memories.html


Patacolor Carnet

Memories of the good 90's. In the 90's we had so much fun! Bye guys!!
A group that I have always liked. One of the best. Missing TLC #Lefteye
TLC No Scrubs"


No comments:

Post a Comment