Saturday, January 11, 2014

Memories of South Africa

South Africa
South Africa's flag

   South Africa as the name says it's a country in the south part of Africa. I have so much good memories of this country. I lived there for few years, I enjoyed my life there and I intend to go back there for tourism. The people were nice. If I have to describe South Africa I would simply say that this country is like an Eden on earth. Because of the diversity of cultures, the languages and races the country is called "the Rainbow Nation". Also, because of the magnificent landscapes and the good natural resources, I truly believe that God has blessed this land. Of course the dark part of its History is the Apartheid but things have changed since the 90's after Mandela was released from jail and became the first Black president. We do not also forget that similarly in the same country, Mahatma Gandhi struggled for his people's rights.
South Africa's map
 As you can see on the map the coastline of South Africa is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean. First I didn't know exactly why people created these different names for the oceans but later I realized that they are definitely different by the color and the movement of their waves. When visiting the Cap of Good Hope down the country ones will actually clearly see the difference and it is amazing how different they look! On the north side of South Africa, are the countries: Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and a little kingdom named "Swaziland"
The country has its own currency named the South African Rand. 0.092 US Dollar equal to 1 South African Rand.
South African Rand


        I remember in my early History classes at my high school, the teacher used to say South Africa is a "melting pot" because of the variety of the ethnicities (multiracial) and the diversity of the languages and culture. The first time that I read their National Anthem I was impressed by the fact that there were different languages included in the paragraphs. I was like wow!
I was a child when I first learned about this country. The memories that I had were about the Apartheid, the Soweto uprising and Mandela on TV every afternoon. Later, on my second year in high school, I read a book from a South African author named Peter Abrahams. The book's title was "Mine Boy" written in 1946. I read it in French version which is translated as: "Rouge est le Sang des Noirs"
"Mine Boy" Peter Abrahams. That is exactly how the cover of the book that I read looks like

The story happened in Johannesburg ( which I went to live years later) I think because Johannesburg was a city of mine. Reading from the History and from the book, Black people extracted gold in that area but it was not a pleasant life to them. Peter Abrahams took me to their lives inside Apartheid and it was so much melancholy, sadness and I felt like it was a real type of imprisoned lives for this people. I even learned some terms used by the people from there. For instance, the word like "Colored" which later I found out to be real when I went to the country itself. Actually "Colored" are a group of mixed people in South Africa. They even call themselves "Colored" interesting right?!.

City of Johannesburg

  The first time I went to South Africa in 2003, I had a different view (that was normal because the Apartheid was abolished around 1990) even if I felt like some "things" were still there. However, I will simply say I fell in love with this country right away. Johannesburg is different than Pretoria which is the political city or simply the Capital city. Capetown is the "pearl" of South Africa this place is magnificent and surreal. At Johannesburg, I recently learned that they have improved again the public transportation system since they organized the World cup of soccer last year which was a great event in the African continent. If you want to go around and visit the city you will have to buy the tags or ticket pass at the offices at Gandhi Square that sell them. Gandhi Square is the terminal of most of the buses. You will find some places around to eat, relax or buy special items but you will also meet Gandhi (I mean his statue because I got emotional when I first saw it. I was touched to see him because seeing this statue took me back to the History of this country)
Gandhi Square

The statue of Gandhi  (at Gandhi Square) I think this statue was made when he was this young lawyer who decided to fight for the freedom of his people 

If you like shopping you will not be disappointed at all. For instance, there are so many malls  I recommend the Cresta Mall because of its architecture. Furthermore, I recommend Sandton Mall (Or Mandela Square) there, you will find trendy shops and all types of boutiques such as local and international brands. Haute Couture like Dior, Chanel, Gucci and many others, as well as some luxuries such as De Beers etc. The good local brands are Woolworth, Truworth (the clothes are good qualities) Edgars, Foschini and also for you ladies there is hummm..."La Senza!" for lingerie and many others.
Nelson Madela'statue..(well I do not see that the statue looks like him but..)

Sandton Mall/ Mandela Square) The big statue in the middle there
 On Sundays I would be going to a church named Rhema Church. I enjoyed every services. The church is huge and there were so many good activities. If you want to know more about the church and what they do here is the link: http://rhema.co.za/
 If you love organic food, natural fruit juices, if you like authentic things and you are a lover of natural landscapes arranged in a finest way, I recommend you to go to South Africa. You will not regret your trip there. You can visit cities like Pretoria, Capetown, Durban... well, there are so many touristic places to go like Cape of Good Hope, Sun City, Kruger Park if you like safari and many others. Visit South Africa you won't be disappointed! I mean, I do not know where and how to start but I will simply put some websites at the end of this post and some pictures that I found in google.com (I will try to share as much as I can but I precise that They are not mine for most of them). It really worth it! I hope you like the pictures.
City of Durban

Sun City

Sun City is a really extraordinary place to go for tourism. There, I found myself in another world. It is such a creative and imaginative place it looks so surreal to be walking there. I admired the work of the artists and engineers who built this special city. In Sun City, the beach is an artificial one and the waves are the result of a mechanic system that made me amazed every time that I was seeing their movements. In Sun City you will think like being an actor in an Hollywood movie scene. I will really recommend this place to visit during a touristic trip in South Africa.
Me on the bridge and sitting at the artificial beach. Memories of Sun city!

 If you like culture and tradition
Ndebele woman. How nice is this house. The women themselves paint the houses
Sun City (artificial beach)

Zebras (magnificent sunset)



Sun City

The country is organizing so interesting things for instance last year South Africa hosted the World Cup of Soccer which was special because for the first time in Africa we had such an important event where the countries of the world were invited

Cape Of Good Hope. You can see the difference in colors between the two oceans

Capetown

 Sun City is also named the Lost City. Many famous movies and video clips were filmed there.  Movie such as "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, John Amos... I think Michael Jackson made the video of his song "Remember the Time" with Eddie Murphy, Magic Johnson, Iman.
Also many celebrities like to spend their vacations there.
I thought that I could also share with you some of my pieces of memories of South Africa. 

I bought the book on Nelson Mandela's quotes. They inspire me whenever them

You can see a little bit of me on the right side of pic I was at the beach of Sun City

Me on the top of the pic at Sun City trip and down with my classmates of University of Johannesburg

I would like to say that musicians in South Africa are so talented. I mean, this people are so original in their music like everywhere in Africa. I like the music and I will post some of the videos as well. You will have a little idea about their music. I hope you like my post dedicated to South Africa. I always knew I would do something like that and I am glad I did it at last because I was so busy these past months. This time I was so inspired tonight and I decided to write something and I am glad I did it at last. Actually that is the point of my "Carnet de Voyage" which is a voyage to countries, a voyage of life, a voyage of History and events as well. I hope you like it and do not forget to check the websites about tourism in South Africa and if you have some comments, memories about South Africa, you can drop them below in the box. I will appreciate it and I will be glad to read them.
Check out my South African songs selection. You will see there are my favorites singers enjoy!


Johnny Clegg "Asimbonanga"


 Mafikizolo: " Khona"

Mafikizolo " I will Meet you at the River"

Mafikizolo


Brenda Fassie "Soon and very soon"

Brenda Fassie


Singer: Mandoza
Mandoza ft Danny K "Friday"

Jamali "Love me for Me"
 My favorite group Jamali

Jamali: "Butterflies"

Miriam Makeba
 Miriam Makeba "Pata Pata"
Miriam Makeba : "Sing me a Song"

Soweto Gospel Choir; "The Lion Sleep Tonight"

Soweto Gospel Choir: "Khumbaya"

Soweto Gospel Choir: "

Soweto Gospel Choir: " Amazing Grace"
now last and not the least Soweto Gospel Choir singing the South African National anthem

Here are the link of some websites about tourism in South Africa: (slide slowly the mouse below there are five links)

http://www.jacadatravel.com/luxury-safaris/south-africa?gclid=COKa5rnl97sCFUtp7AodPgwAfQ

http://www.londolozi.com/en/destination/south-africa/?gclid=CI6Osabl97sCFQbl7AodAWYAPQ

http://www.tourism.gov.za/Pages/Home.aspx

http://www.capetown.travel/

http://www.southafrica.net/country/us/en/











No comments:

Post a Comment