Saturday, January 11, 2014

Nelson Mandela

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (1918-2013)

    I just wanted to write a simple tribute to Nelson Mandela also known as "Madiba". Simple because there will not be enough words to say how I feel about the man that I admire so much. To me, Mandela was this star in the sky, a man born to be a leader. As I am writing this post, I feel deep sadness because the African continent has lost once again a great man. Mandela was among the few great figures that we "Africans" had in the continent. Those great men such as Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba, Kwame Krumah, Steve Biko, Winnie Mandela...who stood up for their people instead of oppressing them like many well known dictators in Africa. Those dictators who had and still have no sense of love and compassion for their people. They think that everything belong to them. No, I am not talking about those kind of men but I talk about those who gave their lives for peace and freedom for their people and Madiba is among them. He never gave up for freedom. He was simply a man of peace.
     I always remember this scene of the "Lion King"(of Disney) when Simba and Mufasa were laying on the grass and they were both looking up to the stars in the dark sky. Then, Simba was kind of asking to his dad "Mufasa" the meaning of all these stars in the sky and Mufasa to reply to him that they were all the great lions dead and watching over them. It is a tradition that most African people can easily understand and that is a little bit how I feel about Mandela. He is this star in the sky among many others who were great leaders. He is physically gone but he still remains in our heart. Like David Diop ( an African poet) used to say "The Dead are Not Dead" (translated from French).
        Mandela has served 27 years in prison of Robben Island because he believed in a better future for his people.His life and his struggles for freedom was such an inspiration that it created the "Soweto Uprising" where many high school students died for the sake of a brighter tomorrow. We can never forget this dark part of the African History.The Apartheid was such an horrible system that put Black people of South Africa down. Today I believe this "Long Walk for Freedom" is not over yet. It is one step at a time. There is still a lot to do but at least some changes have been done since the 90's. I pray that peace and love remain in this beautiful and blessed country.
      I do not know what is going to be the South Africa after him but I just hope that peace will still remain among the people. As Mandela used to say: "If people can teach their children to hate then, we can teach them to Love". Forgiveness and Love were the two things that he emphasized a lot in his speeches. If Mandela did not forgive the pain and traumatism of the Apartheid, I do not think that South Africa would have been this country that we all admire today. I do not say that he is God, I simply admire the qualities of a leader that he had and what he had achieved. I truly believe that some people are simply born to be leaders. Things that I learned from him are: First, when you believe in something you have to fight for it. You must get up, stand up even if it takes time just never give up. Second, hatred takes you nowhere but forgiveness and love are two important qualities. 
    Rest in peace Madiba, your story and your life will never be erased of our memories. The African continent is still mourning you. Africa misses you so much. It is never easy to say "Farewell" I always remember the day when he went to visit my country after he was released from jail...It was so emotional the city was crowded and we could hear his name called everywhere. People were running to touch him as he was standing and greeting us in his car. Yes, I think I have kind of witnessed History...You can never forget this moment it deeply engraved in your heart. Our country spent some months to prepare his visit in my land. Even though I was very young I knew who Mandela was already. I used to see him on TV every afternoon because they were showing us what he was doing to fight for freedom in his country. On that same TV channel I saw old pictures of the Apartheid and the Soweto Uprising. These pictures will always be in our memory.
I cannot forget these words that he used to say: "Freedom is an idea for which I am prepared to die" We need many men and women who think like that in Africa.
"Long Walk to Freedom" movie trailer

PS: If you have not watched the movie "Long walk To Freedom" you may try to do it. It is about the story of Nelson Mandela and the Apartheid system. The actors are great  (leading role actor playing Nelson Mandela is Idriss Elba) they did a wonderful job even imitating the accent, walking like Mandela. This movie brought me so much emotion and it made me just want to thank people like Nelson Mandela to fight for his people's right and freedom. No one is perfect but at least he did what he could. How many of us can stand nowadays for such causes many of us are afraid even to tell the truth in public. so I am grateful to see men like him who showed examples. Thank you Mandela we need more men like you.
 I hope they will have a Golden Globe and an Oscar this year for this movie...

A little memory of this song of Johnny Clegg a great South African singer who sang a tribute to Nelson Mandela and those who, with him, fought against the Apartheid for freedom. I hope you will like the song. We used to listen to Johnny Clegg singing on TV he was well known for his support for freedom.
(Any comments? feel free to drop them in the box below I will be glad to read them thank you)

Song: "Asimbonanga" of Johnny Clegg (I think you will like that one too. I did the first time I watched it) Asimbonanga is an old song that we used to hear in the late 80's if I remember. That's when I started knowing Johnny Clegg as an artist from South Africa. We were too young to understand the meaning of the lyrics we knew it was about Mandela and we were just singing it.

memories of the children of Soweto singing for freedom in deep sadness
from the movie (Sarafina) The movie received many Awards internationally. We remember Whoopi Goldberg playing the role of a teacher and Leleti Khumalo a well known South African actress



No comments:

Post a Comment