Monday, November 13, 2023

Banana Trees/ The Tropics ๐ŸŒด๐ŸŒžmy Mood

Hello everybody, welcome back to my blog.And thank you for reading me. I don't know how the year is ending on your side. I might post few posts here before January. I am so inspired these past few days... Today quite frankly I did not prepare this one at all. (it is not reviewed and edited) i just wanted to share this with you. This feeling of je ne sais quoi. The post might be long but I don't know yet. Recently, I fell into a video of “ Vogue 73 questions with Nicki Minaj” . I often say that I like this part of Vogue.Even though I admit I don't follow Vogue often like I used to. I like “The 73 Q’s “ a lot. They went to visit her at her home record studio and the place was just wonderful. The landscape, the view of her place outside was just.Amazing. And that was in Malibu. So what marked me the most, were the banana trees again. and yes, if you remember.I don't know if some of you have ever visited my website www.poshenvogue.com I have an article that I posted about it. “Banana Trees in Los Angeles”. Yes, I know it sounds just like...I don't know. It sounds like, O! really Laetitia? A complete article about banana trees in L.A?! . Yes, I have it. I did it.Umm. It’s a feeling. I can’t explain it. I got inspired to do it.
Listen, I am from a tropical country and I am very used to knowing these trees. To be honest, I have often associated these trees with tropical ๐ŸŒด๐ŸŒžcountries only.You know, Africa, Some in Asia , South America and the islands, you know. But then when I saw banana trees for the first time in Los Angeles, I was thrilled. I was surprised because there is something about California, or let's simply say Los Angeles (Because that’s where I went to) that contrast between the sophisticated, the luxury and the natural. It is about the beautiful weather of the Pacific, the blue sky, the blue water.umm the chilly breeze but also the palm trees along the streets and the banana trees! Unbelievable! And that is quite interesting and amazing for me And that's why I realized that what was shown on TV is definitely true about Los Angeles. And I got it. You have to go to L.A to understand it.
I share that post in my blog. And how beautiful was Tracee Ellis Ross’ garden? Her garden was so beautiful with some lemon trees, palm trees, but also banana trees. I could not believe my eyes when I saw them while she was speaking in the 73 question of Vogue with Tracee Ellis Ross. Please watch it, you will understand what I mean. It was just beautiful! She had on her, a pinky red ensemble outfit, some pink flowers and the contrast with the green on the back of her garden, the white of her table while she sat in her kitchen and talked to the interviewer was amazing... I mean I can't explain it but it was just wonderful to my eyes. Such a delight! Almost like a paint on a wall. If you can't see the beauty in this video with te nature on the back , I don't know what to do. This is my mood from the tropical life. It follows me everywhere in my head.
By the way, you know how I like this actress. She is Diana Ross’ daughter. Her personality, I mean, Tracee is just a friend that you want to have forever. She's the kind of friend that you want to have in your life, like spending hours together, sitting in the living room, kitchen talk, chatting, laughing on the floor with a glass of wine. Talking about life in general, movies and stupid things. You can tell she makes you feel comfortable. She has this joyful energy. And the most important thing (for me) is, she has a collection of Vogue magazines in her living room. Yes! I used to do the same thing and still do. I like collecting fashion magazines. I think my favorite ones are: Vogue, Elle, Harper Bazaar, AD…yes, yes! So back to Nicki Minaj’s home studio record, seeing that beautiful landscape (the sun, the light, the sea and those trees) was just wonderful to look! just Like another paint! I mean I was taken in another world just seeing this! I mean really!!☺๐Ÿ˜ Who can say no to this. This is heaven on earth! This is my mood. It takes me back straight to my hometown a little bit because of these trees and the sea.
And it took me to some memories of my life, but also.the story that i wrote in my previous post here in this blog. A short story of a man back home who inspired me to write the article on cuba I have this post on Cuba in my website www.poshenvogue.com. “It's Cuba or Nothing!”. So this is a little story and I will share it with you again here. In my hometown, back home in the 90’s I was a teen.. The man was from Gabon of course but neighbors used to call him “The Cuban!” . “Hello the Cuban! How are you?” That's how people would greet him in the streets. Why? Because he was always dressed like a Cuban man. To the point that we forgot his real name. From the head to feet everything was in white. White hat, white pair of pants white shoes... sometimes he will have a good Afro. Like a black shiny crown on his head, and he would proudly walk around in the neighborhood and the streets at the market. And.he was really clean, good looking with his nice dark skin. However the Cuban was always nostalgic about his life back in Cuba. As I remember about what he used to say, He went to study in La Havane in the 70s or 80s, and he lived there in Cuba for years. I don't know why? But there were many young Africans who went to study in Cuba in those years. And I don't know if it was for political reasons. I don't know. And that's why you would hear a lot of people playing Cuban music in their houses.And people liked Cuban dances a lot. So that man was called the Cuban. He was always happy as he was named like that. He was proud of it. He was always happy smiling with people, acting gentleman with women. People liked him a lot! He was a breath of fresh air. He sometimes dreamt of going back to Cuba but he could not because he had a life in Gabon now with a family that’s why sometime in the day, he was kinda nostalgic. When we went to visit our classmate (who was his daughter) he would always tell you how beautiful life was in Cuba at the time he went to study there. You would sometimes see him with a glass of whisky and a cigar in his hand. Cuba was his life!
So what people would do was to ask him questions about La Havane. He loved it! When my classmate was coming to class we asked about her father, who was the Cuban. The Cuban liked to organize receptions, parties in his home and invite the neighbors. People would come to dance Salsa, Mambo, and Rumba to Cuban music. People like Rumba a lot in Africa! We enjoy it. This is what happens when you live under the tropics. This is what happens when you come from countries like mine. .We like family gatherings where we partake in food, we have fun together, eating under the sun and just having a good time, just having a good time. So at one of his parties, there was a lady from the neighborhood. She was so stiff like a robot. She could not dance like everybody else.And she was so stiff she couldn't dance Salsa. We laughed so much seeing her spinning like a robot because she could not follow the rhythm. The adults who were there saw it but they were so busy having fun and dancing. We the classmates of our friends could not stop laughing. We were young at the time, teenagers. Maybe unconscious. Not being mean. It was just funny to us. We really liked "The Cuban!" The Cuban saw it so he went nicely close to her and told her:”Come on, lady. Dancing salsa is just about softness and using your femininity. Let me teach you how to do it” . Like a gentleman of the old days, he taught her how to dance salsa. Little by little, she was trying to follow the rhythm and the steps of the dance. Ok! That was it for this post. I hope you will probably go and watch the Vogue 73 questions with Tracee Ellis Ross and the one with Nicki Minaj. You can also visit my website www.poshenvogue.com to read my article on Cuba. Thank you and happy November. Iclose this post with a song of Africando. An African group of the 90's who were famous with their cuban music.

No comments:

Post a Comment