Sunday, April 15, 2012

Africa, Sweet Africa

Africa, my dear Africa!

Traditional men's dance from Burundi. I like this picture!!

I have never understood why in the most deep inside of me I have always wanted to visit other countries. I can sometimes see myself having a trip around the world. I do not know if you have ever imagined yourself going to stay for few days in the Sahara with the Touareg people. Have you ever imagined hunting with the Masai people, or sing “the Lion sleep tonight” in the jungle? Have you ever imagined yourself walking in the street of Athens or walking naked feet in New York city like the Beatles? Or  taking a time to learn how to wear a kimono in Japan? This is the way I see the beauty of the Creation. Thank you Lord God! It is almost like being on Aladdin's magic carpet and fly around the world. I would love to visit all the countries in Africa, Europe, America and Asia. I want to discover all the different cultures and cuisines. I want to sit with the different tribes or people of the world and smile when I listen to them speaking in their languages. If I could simply spend a day with Amazons of South America or dance with Native American people that would be great!...But I want to write about Africa which is the reason of this post today.

Some African handmade flip flop done with natural vegetal fibers named raphia


An African handmade bag

An African woman painted on the raphia
 Ismael Lo "Dibi Dibi Rek"

I do not have a specific choice about countries. I do not choose a special country where to go because I believe that the world is beautiful and everything is special and different but Africa is such a beautiful continent. I believe every country is original with what it contains. Is it the weather, the breeze, the sea, the landscape, the animals, the dances, the language, the lifestyle or the cuisine that attract me? I like everything about all of these. I do not think about the difference of color or the races because I think that people of the world are all beautiful the way God created them. Also, when I was a child I remember that I was always trying to remember all the names of the capital cities of the world. Also, I could find myself drawing children with their traditional clothes from different countries holding their hands around the Earth. Therefore, I think the differences make this world colorful! (As it is said in French: “Il faut de tout pour faire un monde!” meaning we need all the differences to make a world)
My painting

African artisanal Art

I believe that I am lucky to have two cultures and languages. Today I am learning English with the Anglo-Saxon culture. My "Carnet de Voyage" is just some texts and pictures that I would like to share with people who have the same passion. The idea is to share positive thoughts of the countries where we went and share pictures of the memories brought from there even the little things. For instance, when I go somewhere I can bring some little stones or shells, cards, pictures of people doing something, the landscape etc. These collections are just a way to remember the good times spent in a place or the country. It is just like you are still enjoying the little moment of joy of life and I believe this is a way to keep happiness. When commenting I would like to read some thoughts and opinions but also great or funny experiences. It would be nice to share some pictures too.

two African ladies on a paint

The first chapter of my Carnet de Voyage is my way to pay a tribute to the African continent. I think it is one of the greatest place in the world because of the variety in every aspect. Also, Africa is the Mother of Humankind. This continent had a great civilization and had a great influence in some countries in America even  in Europe especially in Art. Africa has great musicians the talent of music and rhythm is known to be from Africa. In this chapter I try to present the real Mother Africa that I know. It is a place where people are so warm and joyful. I will share some pictures, cards, some African poems, recipes, photos in the next posts…and also the number of countries, that are in the African continent. They all have their native languages but because the history of colonization some speak French, others English and others speak Portuguese, Arab, and only one country speak Spanish. So do not be surprised!! The beauty of this continent is the surprising differences. In Africa, there are many different tribes, traditional costumes, dances, cultures, dishes, customs... What are you going to see in this continent? hum...let's see ...there is the pyramids of Egypt, the Kilimandjaro in Tanzania, the Victoria Falls in Zambia, Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, Poubara waterfalls in Gabon, Crystal mountains, the Atlas in North Africa... I guess I will have to write a whole post on all of these famous sights.
Here are the pictures of my art objects that I preciously keep with me. If you have some pictures of Africa anything that you have feel, please free to share them we will appreciate it. 

A Masai family


the little Mbigou stone. Its hand made

some cowries, raffia of Gabon

I cannot forget how people used to picture the old Africa. It was the old man sitting on a traditional chair under a baobab tree telling stories and teaching wisdom to children sitting in front of him on the floor.

I was trying to paint my continent and the dove represents hope that someday peace will be all over Africa

The old man telling stories to children


I tried to draw a daily life in an African village

people selling mangoes as you can see a mother and her child are about to buy some.
Also this one: It is a dark night with many stars in the sky. There is the village and there is this old man sitting on the traditional chair in front of the fire, telling some legends and counts to children sitting around him. The other picture that I always cherish in my heart is the one of this ambiance in a village where some women are traditionally fishing and others washing clothes on big stones. Children jumping in the river having fun playing with the water and on the other side of the shore some people of the neighbor villages using their traditional ships. I tried to draw my ideas but looking at it in real life it's incredible.     

The Africa that I still cherish in my heart is the one of queens and kings. I remember when I was a high school student, I learned about some kingdoms in Africa: Congo, Oyo, Ife, Ethiopia, Nubian empire, the Malian empire, the empire of Egypt and many others…Nowadays some countries still have this royal customs within some tribes. For instance, some tribes in Nigeria, Ghana have queens and kings. Also, there is the kingdom of Swaziland in the middle of South Africa. I even remember the names of some heroes and leaders fighting for the freedom and peace of their countries: Samori Toure, Gbehanzin, Sundjata Keita, Kwame Kruma, Patrice Lumbumba, Thomas Sankara, Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko and many others. It is a Africa proud to be Africa.

In Africa there is a variety of languages and tribal languages like I said earlier. In Africa there is a variety of races and cultures. There is a variety of food and recipes. African people are really talented as you can see in this video that I found in youtube.com from an author showing the Omo people. I myself was impressed by their Art of make up these people have. I was speechless!
There is a lot to discover from this continent. The pictures and videos that I am going to share with you are not mine at all but because I thought they could give you an idea of the African continent with different countries. I then decided to post them. Maybe someday you would like to visit the continent so enjoy the pictures!
Touareg woman

North Africa

sphinx, pyramid in Egypt
Goree Island Senegal















A song of Salif Keita from Mali and Cesaria Evora from Cap Verde Yamore"

  Slavery sad part of African History.Senegal

young Kenyan man

Mozambique
Masai people, Kenya
Mozambique
Ndembele women South Africa
Thiebou Djen, recipe from Senegal (fish, spicy rice with vegetables)
Meat in brochette

woman from Mozambique

Angelique Kidjo from Benin: "Agolo"





Souvenir, souvenirs
Alpha Blondy from Ivory Coast "Fanta Diallo"

Mathey from Ivory Coast "Ameyatchi"

souvenirs souvenirs
Monique Seka from Ivory Coast "Minsouwa"
Great Artist; Cesaria Evora from Cap Verde "Sodade"

Marizia from Cap Verde "Terra Franca"



Khaled from Algeria "Aicha"

Khaled "Didi"

Angelique Kidjo from Benin "Wombo Lombo"



I picked the pictures from some of these web links:
www.paradiseintheworld.com
                   www.nationalgeographic.com
                     www.krugerpark.co.za
          www.hueintheworld.wordpress.com 
www.comedara.com
www.ithforum.com
www.afrofusioncuisine.wordpress.com 





No comments:

Post a Comment