Friday, June 26, 2015

Rennes In Brittany


Rennes in Bretagne, France

     During my trip to France, I came into this nice city named Rennes. After approximately two hours from Montparnasse in Paris I took the bullet train (TGV) to the northwest of the country. I enjoyed the trip because it was relaxing. Once arrived in Rennes, I saw how different and quiet it is compared to Paris of course. Rennes is a French city mainly known as a city for University students. However, Rennes is more than that. Rennes is the capital of the Ile et Vilaine department. The Vilaine is a river of west France that crosses the city and Brittany in general. You will see it in mostly many places of the city. Rennes was also a parliamentary and administrative city of the Kingdom of France. The city is in the area of France called Bretagne (Brittany).The inhabitants of the city are called the Rennais (For male) and Rennaise (for female) but also the Britons (Bretons). You might also remember this particular name “The Breton” because of the French Fashion designer, Coco Chanel who was once inspired by the Breton stripes that the marine Bretons were wearing to create this well-known fashion trend that every woman liked until today. The stripes fashion is definitely a timeless style!
Here are two pictures of "la Vilaine" in Rennes, Brittany (The River that crosses the west part of France)


Also in the middle of the city under the bridges, we can see the River
Currently, I stay in a nice and quiet suburb named Cesson Sevigne it is really close to Rennes itself where the main attractions are. I like visiting Rennes because it is a really authentic French city. It feels good to be here! Recently Rennes was named one of the best cities in France to live in. As a matter of fact, I see many tourists walking around in the city here. They speak French, English, Portuguese…It is my second time to visit that nice area of the country and I hope to be able to do it sometimes again next year. The weather is really good there is an awesome sun and I love it!
 Few weeks ago, I was walking in “La Rue des Lilas” there are some big trees along the street, and a fresh breeze. Yes, something like a smooth wind and that just brought a feeling of happiness in my mind. Just that little moment was everything and I was so thankful for that moment. I saw some people walking, running but also mothers with their babies in strolls and women walking with their dogs.

However, I have to admit that the weather can be grey and rainy sometimes. This is a particularity with this area.
I even saw some familiar names at the buses stop of the city

Flowers are everywhere in the city it is such an amazing delight to see them around looking fresh and colorful. I even took some pictures! Whenever I was walking from a street to another or from an area to another, I could find a bush of beautiful flowers. Flowers are almost everywhere in the city. Consequently, I kept taking pictures of them as much as possible and it became like a little passion now. Once back to my place, I downloaded these pictures and I enjoy seeing them all. Every day I take my time to contemplate these flowers on my computer. And every day I go out to look at them and smell them. I even shared their pictures to some friends and family. Here are some of them that I share with you (I have more and I will post them later. To the flowers lovers you will definitely like them all!) Thank you God for such beautiful things. They are wonderful!
They have different colors. I will have a post on the flowers because I found myself liking them more this summer because of their natural beauty and scents















This city of France is known for the good food as well. Some people might say: Of course it is French! But I really mean it. The local food here is yummy and good to the point that you can bite your fingers! (I am just saying!) Before talking about that local food I want to bring to your attention that there are different restaurants from other countries too. For instance, I went to eat with my sister to a small Cambodian restaurant. The name of this restaurant is “Apsara.” It is such a simple restaurant with affordable prices and I don’t know how to describe it but the spring rolls there are really excellent! There are other good dishes but I could not get enough of the spring rolls specifically.


 I will have a post about it


We also went to a Chinese restaurant (I did not say a buffet) a really good one as well! I will share something about it too.
You will find other specialties in the city. Back to the local food, you won’t be disappointed at all. They make some good “Galettes Bretonnes” (Breton Galette). Galette Bretonne is one of their traditional crepe cooked in  certain way. Then they will add some ham, eggs and cheese. Others will put some sausages… You will find them in the “creperies.” The Galette Bretonne is a type of large crepe made of black wheat called “Sarrasin” with salt and water. On the top of that crepe some people will cook an egg and ham with cheese like I said earlier or other things. It is delicious! You can make it at home it is easy. The recipes are found in some French websites. 
http://www.intartifletteitrust.com/archives/2012/10/05/25259913.html

    Then you have The Kouign which is a cake made with butter, you will have some excellent crepes as well. You can eat these crepes with strawberries jam or good chocolate paste. Another specialties such as The Four Quarts Cakes, the Galette saucisse (sausage patty) “Le Palet” (Biscuit) I have a picture of it below.

I like the French bakery and pastries in general. There are some good bakeries in the city. I have never seen such a variety of breads with different shapes. I actually went to one of them in “Sainte Anne” an active area of the city that is known to be among the best bakeries in France. The name of that bakery is: La Boulangerie Hoche. I went there in the afternoon as you can see most of the breads were gone. They have a lot of customers.  







There are two other bakeries that I like here. One at Cesson Sevigne and, another one at the “Place de la Republique.” On the corner of one of the streets you will see that bakery named the “Brioche Doree.” I particularly like the fruits pies that they make. Also, you will find some good ice creams. For instance, I got me the one with strawberries and another one with raspberries


I also bought a good apple pie too. Excellent!







I like the French bread specifically




You like sea food? You will definitely find what you want. There are restaurants that cook sea food very well.



What about drink? There is the “Kir Breton” which is a mixture crème of blackcurrant (Cassis) and cider. There are also some good beers.



There are many interesting things to do in Rennes as a tourist. I try to come up with a list and share few pictures and short videos of my touristic visit. For example, You can go to the Bretagne Parliament, Parc du Thabor, Saint Germain church, Les Champs Libre, the opera, Beaux Arts museum, La criee, Place Champ- Jacquet, Parc des Gayeulles, Bretagne museum, Mimo’s Garden, Charles de Gaulles place.

I went to the “Parc du Thabor” this place is such a restful and beautiful place. You can spend a whole afternoon there. If you go to Rennes take a time to go there you will definitely like it. (There are many other parks) To me the park of Thabor is a good place to be inspired.


Yes, to be inspired when you want to create something or study. No need to say that you will see many lovers kissing and holding hands like in Paris during the summer. People also enjoy sleeping on the grass, read some books or having group 's fun activities with music etc. I like being there for hours. I went to the lake and I saw some colorful fishes and ducks. I spent time taking good pictures as well (That is now something that I like to do). The park has places where they grow nice flowers. There is a huge castle and a nice house on the side. There are also some esplanades where musicians or artists can come to perform for their guests. These esplanades can be used for wedding ceremonies as well. People take nice pictures to remember the moment. Isn’t it awesome? At the “Parc du Thabor” (Park of Thabor) you will also find some nice waterfalls and some bridges. It feels so good to walk there!

















(The good things that God created and has made for us. I am simply thankful!) Actually I was feeding these cute ducks with some cookies but you cannot see it in the pictures. They like cookies!!







A little angel
 
I saw an Art exhibition plus an area for children where they can play safely and many other interesting attractions…












Other activities to do: You can go to a spa if you want to feel good and beautiful. How about going to restaurants. You can go to the park, to spectacle theater, and you can go to a café spend a good time since there are many of those in the city. You can go to swim at the huge swimming pool of the municipality . You can also go to bakery discover some local breads. Try and discover the local food like I said earlier. If you want to have an idea about what to do you can go to ask questions and take brochures to the “Office du tourisme de France” (Office of tourism of France) It is somewhere in Sainte Anne in Rennes.


 The brochures will help to know current and fun activities to do.


At Sainte Anne, you will also find some old houses that the local government saved and try to maintain as much as possible because they represent a piece of History.



Sainte Anne





 
Metro station
I like to go to the mall at "Les Trois Soleil" (Shopping Centre Colombia) which is at Charles de Gaulle. You will find many French shops and boutiques such as Sephora, H&M, 123, Camaieu, Etam, Marionnaud, Morgan, Yves Rocher, Promod etc.






one of the entrance
There is another one which is new and bigger and it is called Alma
 Alma is more sophisticated and it also has modern architecture. You will find most of the good and luxury boutiques in that mall



You will also find some good café, bars, restaurants and bakeries selling French specialties and others. 
To not being lost in the city, I use as a reference a place called the “Place de la Republique” because many buses of the city stop and leave from there. To use the buses and the metro you will of course have to pay some tickets but the best way will be to stop at the agency who sells trip cards for a month or more to get around the city. They call it the “Korrigo card”. This agency is at the Place de la Republique too. At the same area, you will find good stores for shopping and you will see some good restaurants. You will be able to walk in different streets to find other ones.


I simply like the architecture of the building. They have a old and new style.




 When you visit the city you will see many old buildings and nice old cathedrals because they are originally Catholics for the most part. There are many good boutiques and museums
I really like the streets in the city




street St Georges




 I also ate at the Creperie La Gavotte. It is a kind of restaurant cooking crepes and Galettes Bretonnes. The food is so delicious!!! You will drink local punch, cocktails... The service is excellent and La Gavotte is one of the best creperies in the area. You will not be disappointed at all. I saw many tourists going to eat there


 I like the Body Shop

 The parliament building below

 My favorite store Lush because  I like the natural cosmetic products that they make




Hugo Boss for men



 It feels good to walk in the streets here and yes there is Subway too! (Smiling).



Me at the Republique place


 I like the streets 'Arts as well...






Wearing a Cache Cache stripes dress and a H&M bag

In the afternoon beside going out I have a time to relax . Relaxing is so important for me. I watch some good TV shows, I play with the cat at home. He likes to listening to good music too! We were listening to Aretha Franklin "Do Right"
 
Then we were listening Whitney Houston "Million Dollar bill and I Look to You"

And as usual I read some magazines for women. Vogue magazine the one that I like reading usually










Spending good family times. Like this precious moment with my niece in this one. She told me she likes bridal gown but not wedding. That was two African artists who were getting married and they shared the pictures on social media to their fans. It was amusing because she is too young (3 years old) to understand what marriage and wedding mean. I don't know a lot either but she made me smile with her opinion
And on Sundays, I go to church!

I also discovered some local delights
such as these delicious Breton caramel from here. These caramel are traditionally made.


and these cookies well known from this area (The palets)
Or I eat my mom's merveilles. She knows how to make them and we eat them with tea because they are normally sweet (not too much!). It's good for an afternoon


My mum is the best! Thank you Mommy!!!

My mom's "Merveilles" she cooks them from scratch!
Beside Paris, there are other nice cities to visit in France and you can discover the culture as well. I guess I said everything about Rennes for the moment. I am still enjoying my Summer here and will be going to another city soon. Rennes is a beautiful city with nice people. Maybe you will come to visit here some day. I hope you discovered something new and I also hope you like it. Thank you for reading!
I send you Love from France



French group: Manau song "La Tribu de Dana" (The Dana's tribe) an original and traditional song from Britanny





















No comments:

Post a Comment